But what if we made self-care a regular part of our lives?
Think about it – if we took care of ourselves physically, emotionally, and mentally regularly, we would be better able to handle the ups and downs of life. We would be more resilient. And we would likely be happier overall.
So how can we make self-care a part of our lives?
- Get enough sleep. Most of us need around eight hours of sleep each night. But some of us need more or less. So pay attention to how you feel after different amounts of sleep, and ensure you're getting the right amount.
- Eat healthy foods. Eating nutritious foods helps our bodies to function at their best. When we're well-nourished, we have more energy and stamina, and we're better able to cope with stress.
- Take breaks. When we're constantly on the go, it's essential to take a break now and then. Take a few minutes each day to relax and rejuvenate. Maybe take a hot bath, read your favourite book, or take a nature walk while connecting to your surroundings and nature's beauty. I've started to add a power nap to my day. Just 15 minutes a day lying down and closing my eyes.
- Exercise. Exercise releases endorphins, which have mood-boosting effects. And even moderate exercise can help to reduce stress levels. So find an activity you enjoy, and make it a part of your routine. I'm not fond of Gyms, so you can mostly find me on a walk in the woods or at the beach. (smile)
- Connect with others. Spending time with loved ones can help reduce stress and promote positive emotions. So make time for the people who matter to you, and stay connected even when you're apart.